I went to an exhibit of one of my favorite artists. Mark Rothko. It was a privelege! I actually went there twice. When i explained the guard this was a once-in-a-lifetime experience he wanted to give us a daypass! We were so lucky!

It was ment to be. Ofcourse i knew something of him and his work but i can't describe how much it did to me when i visited his exhibit.

The huge pieces had there own room. Some of the pieces hung together in a bigger room. It was busy. A lot of people where around. I saw it as a challenge to escape from all the noice. I only wanted to focus on the pieces. And yes that worked. It was my way to experience the work of a master.

We discussed his career in our artclasses but being there was so different! It was like everything i knew faded away and only the things i saw and experienced did really matter. It was a way i never really approached art and it actually worked for me.

The dark colours express mystery and illusion. Emotion. If you're only touched by the way the colours work together, a masterpiece on itself, you don't really get to the essential part of his work, so he says. It's in the soft edged retangles. It's a border to a different dimension of art and experiences. On the first sight you think Rothko uses one taint of red for example. If you actually take the time you discover the painting of full of different reds. It's amazing how mysterious it can be. I wanted to escape from the noice and people. But on top of that, i also escaped into a world designed by the master himself. It was a privelege.

3 opmerkingen: